Wednesday, March 23, 2011

15. Fly a kite with the boys

Number 15 on the bucket list was a fun one! Fly a kite with the boys. I couldn't even tell you when the last time I flew a kite was, but we had so much fun with the boys tonight!

I had told my mom a while back about my bucket list and how flying a kite was on the list. She chuckled and told me about flying kites as a kid and getting them tangled in trees and power lines. She started calling me every day that it was windy telling me what a great day it would be to fly a kite! I had never noticed before how windy the month of March is in Indiana. And as we "march"ed towards the end of the month I started to get nervous that I would miss the opportunity to fly a kite this spring with the boys. So I set out this afternoon to look for a kite after getting the reminder call from my mom about what a great day it would be to fly a kite!

I tried to think of where I would be able to find a kite that would be suitable for flying and the only place that popped into my head was Walmart. So the boys and I headed to Walmart. I looked all over the toy department, the outdoor department and even asked an employee (which is a whole other blog topic) but was unable to find a kite. So we got some gum started to leave. On our way back to the van my mom called. Guess where she was...Walmart. Guess what she found...KITES!

Jack's Toy Story kite

So arrangements were made, dinner was put on hold and Jason, my parents, my sister and I all took the boys to Broad Ripple Park and flew some kites! Jack was a natural! He ran all over the field keeping his kite up in the air. We laughed so hard at his little legs pumping all over and cheered him on loudly as he ran from one side to the other all down the field. Being the awesome Mamaw that she is, Mom even bought a kite for Graham and stood patiently with him for gentle breezes to launch his kite.

Jack running in the field flying his kite

Mamaw and Graham flying his kite

The boys flying their kites together

Jack bending over pulling the kite out of a dive...great save!

After flying the kites everyone came back to the house for pizza and soda. Jason and I are so lucky that we get to share wonderful spontaneous memories like these with family. And I'm so glad that I made that bucket list...because of it we're actually allotting time for us to have fun together doing little things as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment