Monday, May 9, 2011

6. Help plant this year's garden

I'm not really sure this was such a good idea since a few weeks ago I planted starter seeds that never sprouted, but Jason let me help plant the garden with him this weekend. Since we've lived in our house, Jason has always had a vegetable garden and an herb garden in the backyard. He's mostly grown peppers and tomatoes in his veggie garden and since I care for neither of those, I really had no interest in the garden either. It was fun to watch him work in it, love it, and reap the rewards that come with it but since I wasn't eating anything from it there wasn't that same draw for me that there was for him.

This year (all thanks to my bucket list) though I wanted it to be something for us to do. I don't know if it's trying to balance a relationship with two kids or just time passing us by, but sometimes it feels like Jason and I don't get to spend too much time with one another. Or at least not doing things that require taking care of someone or something in the house. I wanted it to be something of a common interest between us, something that could give us fodder for conversation, something that didn't involve changing a diaper or building a train track. But Jason was happy to have me on board and welcomed me with wide open arms.

Jason did most of the planning and purchasing. He brought the knowledge and the know how. Me...I showed up! Jason showed me where to start, what to start with and how to put seeds in the soil. I planted cucumbers on little mounds, hoed rows for sugar snap peas and dug holes for squash. I also planted two types of lettuce and some spinach. Jason planted peppers between all of that, put a gourd in the herb garden and few tomato plants on the side of the house. So I think we're all set for the 2011 season.

My big boys out in the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment